Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Photos Should Be Fun - Utah Photographer

First off, yes...I have been a lousy blogger...I apologize for that. Summer has been keeping us busy, and this seems to always be the first item that gets pushed down the "to-do" list. But I will try harder to get more on here!

On that note, this last week, while I was shooting another piece of the Vagabond project I've been working on (which will have it's own post soon since the first showing is soon!), I was hit with the fact that we need to be having more fun with our portrait sessions! Whenever we shoot our commercial work, or our personal work, it's meaningful and is driven by who we/they are. Why do all of fall into the trap of not letting our portrait sessions be that way? Too often they become kind of stale reproductions of what we've seen (Pinterest anyone?) but lack the most important thing - YOU. Why hang portraits on your walls that are generic? Wouldn't we rather hang portraits that say, "This is who I am, and I'm awesome!"?

The reason this really hit me during the recent Vagabond shoot is because after we wrapped up what was needed we just played, and it was awesome! Everyone involved had things they wanted to do - because it's who they are. We ended up with some great (read: AMAZING) stuff that meant something to those having them taken. Now you can obviously see where my train of thought came from, right?

So let's do this! Let's get together and create works of amazingness for your walls. What makes you unique? That's what we should be doing - even if that means shooting at your home to make it really capture who you are. Let's hit the lake, or the dunes, or the trails, or anything else that will truly make these the portraits you've always wished you could have!

Here are just a few images from the "after party" as it were:

No comments:

Post a Comment